Monday, May 11, 2009

Kirk's Still a Ho, Spock's Still Hot, and the Movie Rocks

Okay, I admit it. I'm a fangirl. I watched Star Trek when it was in syndication when I was kid. In undergrad I wrote an anthropology paper comparing the original series to The Next Generation. And I liked the movie. I watched it on opening night in IMAX. Woohoo! Here's a secret: I am a geek.

Between Kirk and Spock, it has always been Spock. Between Scully and Mulder: Scully. Give me the brain over the brash hothead any day. Stuff blew up. The warp core was ejected (everyone who's seen more than an episode or two in this franchise knows this rule: when nothing else will work, eject the warp core). Sulu has hand to hand combat experience (fencing? fencing. woohoo!)

And Spock got the girl. This one is weird. I like when the geek gets the girl. Really. But. Just every now and then, I'd like the girl to get the geek. Or whomever. I want it to be her adventure. Just every now and then, can it not be about the boys? While we all recognize the linguistic genius of Nyota Uruhu, is it possible for her to not be in a minidress, not wearing some for-real fake lashes, not continually scurrying into turbolifts and running to the transporter room to comfort poor little distraught Spock? And what was with the completely gratuitous shot in her underwear? I wanted to like the Spock/Uhuru angle of the movie and I did, but I couldn't get comfortable with all the overtones of another Black woman's sexuality being used and put on display.

And six billion people die and somehow we're supposed to only be concerned about Spock's mother? How could everyone on that ship who watched a whole planet disappear not be in mourning? How could the cadets already be that jaded?

I meant to write this deep analysis of the movie, but, well--woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment