Wednesday, June 5, 2013

What is Detroit spending money on?


"Mommy, why they putting the concrete in that dump truck?"

I really don't know. Apparently, our city--which is on the verge of bankruptcy, where the state-appointed emergency financial manager is threatening to liquidate art work and any other public asset to creditors, where we cannot keep the street lights on consistently--is replacing driveways and sidewalks in my neighborhood.




Some of it would seem to make sense…probably some areas do need to be replaced. They ragged and uneven and I can't imagine someone in a wheelchair navigating over them:


Though my neighbor wanted to know why they aren't grinding up the stumps before replacing driveways like this one. The workers, of course, said the inspector makes decisions on what to replace before they come out; they just do the marked areas.

Other areas are cracked, but flat and not stopping any movement:




Or driveways that are ugly, but functionally fine:


I find it especially odd since the sidewalks and driveways have been like this for *years*.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes, cities won't get federal money if sidewalks aren't up to standards and ADA-approved. That would be my first guess, but you do raise valid points. Also: how do decisions actually get made in the City? I'm curious. I think it's a total crap-shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I am curious about how decisions were made on which neighborhoods and streets to target. There are maybe two areas that would run afoul of ADA, while they're tearing up concrete in front of 10 or so houses. I know of quite a few streets within a 5-mile radius that are lacking curb cuts so unsure what made this a priority.

    While there may be some elements of randomness, I'm also suspicious that at least part of it is due to my area being one of the Chosen neighborhoods that city has decided should continue to receive services in any downsizing efforts.

    ReplyDelete