Friday, December 26, 2014

Reflections on Umoja


Habari gani?

Two things happened to make me go deep as I reflect on the principle of the day:

1. So. Yesterday I got a text from someone I haven't heard from in a year and nine months--despite several calls, emails, and texts from me. And the last interaction came about as an extremely delayed response to an email I had sent four years prior. My immediate reaction to the text was: "What the frick-frack? Is that how they're celebrating Christmas now, with amnesty for those who decide resurface after long absences?"

I recognize that I am good at Walking Away. Gold star good. Gold medal good. Double platinum good. I am quick to say (or think) "I don't need you." And, pretty much, it's true. Grandma has a story of coming over to find toddler me climbing up on the kitchen cabinets to reach the cereal. I had a problem and I was taking care of it myself.

2. My child asked me today why I don't talk to our neighbor. I really don't talk to her. I do not so much as acknowledge her presence and I see her so infrequently these days that I'm pretty sure that she has learned that talking to me is not an option.

Umoja: To strive for and to maintain unity in the family, community, nation and race

Maybe my lesson for this year will be how to build unity when we, and others, are imperfect. I will learn balance: loving people and giving them space to work out their own issues, while also taking care of myself and avoiding toxic situations. I will consciously work on building unity where it is difficult, recognizing that that is where it matters most.

No comments:

Post a Comment