Friday, July 17, 2009

Who sponsors petitions?

I was sitting at the bus stop today and a woman was trying to get signatures on a petition. The young brother sitting next to me signed it for her. He then asked a really good question: whether she was volunteering to circulate the petition. Interestingly enough, she got a little defensive. Hmm. So I asked her who was sponsoring the petition. She dodged and skated and then settled on an answer: "the city." I insisted that that didn't make sense and asked directly who was paying her. She stated that she was not allowed to talk about who was paying her or how much she made. I assured her that I would not ask her how much she made, but I was curious who was sponsoring the petition. She asked me if I was a registered Detroit voter and if I wanted to sign. I am, but I told her I am not interested in signing something being circulated by shadowy persons who don't want to be revealed.

The petition was to get the question of districts on the ballot. Basically the petition wanted a proposal before voters that would move us from an at-large city council to a council that has only two at-large members and seven members that each represent a specific district. I am not against this idea. Council could definitely use more accountability and districts might be a way to do that. But I am very concerned with the process that would draw up districts. Very concerned.

No comments:

Post a Comment