Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Customer Service

I am very serious about customer service. I do not like to spend money. I try to spend the least amount of money that I possibly can. Don't ask me what I think will happen, but I just like feeling like if I needed or even just really wanted to buy something I could, without hesitation. So when I do spend my money, I like to give it to vendors who treat me well.

I went into the bike shop down by WSU...it's a small business, the kind of place I want to support. It's actually in the city. It's in a convenient location for me. They grew out of work done with a community youth group. They used to hold bike repair classes (they may still, their website is out of date). They're big on repairing and reusing. And they're cheap. Last year I had them do brake adjustments for me. There was a $5 charge. So all around it sounds good and I want to support them.

But, dear people, I am ornery. Even with all that, I still need good customer service. After walking 20 minutes in the sweltering heat and patiently waiting while three other people get their (slow) business handled, I want my turn and I want it with a smile. I don't want the scrunchy face when I say I need new tires--20", yes I said 20". I don't want you assuming I need installation. If I'm here to buy tires and I've told you I didn't bring the bike, that means I want to buy the tires and am perfectly capable of putting them on myself. I don't want my questions brushed aside and to be asked to wait while someone who came in after me and wants a complete overhaul gets checked in so he can go to work. I don't want to wait for you to handle his business and then wait again while you go upstairs to find the tires you think are up there. I myself need to get back to work.

And, obviously, I need to find someone a little more willing to sell me a couple of tires.

No comments:

Post a Comment