Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Tulips and Time

Picture of tulips; in foreground white tulip with deep hot pink edges; in background white and purple tulips in backgroundI probably had the deepest thought I'll ever have when I was four. I was waiting for my mom to pick me up from school; she was late and all my little classmates were gone. I began pondering time. I was particularly struck by its transitory nature and the elusiveness of "now." I was amazed by the fact that I couldn't hold a thought in that now...that that moment was gone as soon as I registered it.

What my four-year self didn't grasp was the beauty of the now. I planted tulips this past fall and they bloomed recently. The flowers lasted no more than two weeks before wilting and leaving spent, desolate stalks--but, oh, what a beautiful two weeks they were!

No comments:

Post a Comment